3/3/08

Why are the boys left? Our Moses...

So many adoptive parents are seeking to adopt girls. My question is why? I have nothing against little girls...our next adoption, if there is one, will be a girl simply because we will have 3 boys. But why does it seem the majority of children being adopted are girls? Maybe I'm wrong about this.

In China adoptions, many perspective parents seek baby girls not realizing the abundance of boys who remain in Child Care Centers across China. Many of these boys have some kind of special needs, from moderate to minor and correctable. Sometimes a child is considered "special needs" simply because he is older.

In other adoptions, no matter what the country, even in the US, it appears that young boys are always waiting

I just want to encourage those who are waiting for that special child to enter there lives to consider a boy. Boys are wonderful. We adopted our son, who was considered special needs in China, and our family has been blessed tramendously. We had our issues with attachment, as well as everyday 2 year old testing. But he is a treasure sent from heaven, perfectly matched to our family. His medical treatment is ongoing and will continue for a couple years until his medical team is satisfied he will remain tumor free. And now that we are pursuing another boy, from Haiti this time, I get excited thinking about them as "brothers" growing up together in a very unique family.

I don't live in a fantasy world and I realize it will be tough at times, but then I look at my sons, and realize that they are being trained in the ways of the Lord. My oldest to the youngest. God is calling us to train up men of God, men of valor, young warriors for Him! I get excited at the possibilities and the task at hand. This is a mission, a calling for me and my husband. Maybe not everyone can handle this challenge, as many are called but few are chosen. But so much potential waits to be found and so many forever families are made when we answer that "call" to bring home our boys.

I want to share our journey to our "Moses"...he's a very unique and special little man! We know that God's hand is on him in a mighty way!

4 comments:

McDonald Clan said...

What a beautiful journey to your son! He is adorable! Thanks for sharing it!

Mary said...

since we already had a biological son, everyone thought we would adopt a girl. i got some funny looks when i said we had chosen another boy! i know we will have a girl someday too, either bio or adopted, but i just can't get enough of "my boys" for now :-)

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing your story. How precious.

Natalie said...

I feel the same way about adopting older kids...