1/27/09

Home School and other Thoughts

I restled with whether or not to send Evan to preschool a couple days of week. He's so clingy and obviously insecure when seperated from me or Brad. I thought that maybe the "preschool environment" would trigger some independence. Well, the more I research, along with my own mommy intuition, I continue to feel the Holy Spirit direct me away from that. I have no problem with a good preschool or school like setting. But, deep down, I know that the best way to combat his anxiety is to stay with mommy rather than force him to "deal with it" at a new school. So he will stay home and we will sure up a firm foundation in Jesus Christ.

He had been going nicely to Children's Church for 4 months, without us, up until November, when I went to Haiti. Then he relapsed into not wanting me out of his sight. But the more I reassure him, the more he is once again releasing the grip :-) I allowed him to cry in children's church for the very first time last sunday-or should I say he was a screaming mimi. God showed me it was time to do this-he's been home now for 2 1/2 years and is mature enough. Then me and Brad went into service and prayed...and prayed some more... We came back to peek and he was sitting on a chair stubburnly looking out the window. The workers were wonderful (and he know's them all very well so it's not like we are leaving him with a stranger) and continued to encourage him to join in. 10 minutes later he totally snapped out of it and participated with the rest of the class.

The difference with this situation, from a preschool, is he has been in this environment for 2 1/2 years now and knows every teacher and helper personally. He runs and plays with all of them and knows all the kids as his friend....for over 2 years! So enough is enough...time to fly little one.

Back to home school. So, last fall, we played, and I got some of Sonlight's Preschool cirriculum. It's actually a bunch of wonderful books to read to your child. Very pricey though. I'm sure I could have found many of these titles at the library. And some of those fairy tail books I'm not very thrilled with. Too much for a 3/4 year old. I can't even imagine why a christian company would include them. My opinion. But I love the idea of learning with real books...

We also went through the alphabet learning the letter sounds and pulling fun things to do with the "letter of the week" off of my "free link" sites listed in the right column toward the bottem of this page. We finished all 26 letters and sounds before the holidays.

Once Christmas was over, we were faced with..."what now"? We are still reading the Sonlight books but are just about done every story. So I bought My Father's World Kindergarten program...And I love it. I have to modify it some, as Evan just doesn't have the ability to write yet and I'm not pushing him to learn early. He is able to do simple, 3 year old copy. And does it well. But he's not ready for some things, like the letter "s". Very hard letter and that's what they start with. I had bought a Handwriting Without Tears workbook(Get Set for School)last summer and he is doing that off and on when he feels like it. And he traces the letters on the MFW worksheets.

I love the way this cirriculum is totally laid out for you. Simple. All I have to do is open the book. I look at what we are doing for the week and prepare a few things. We visit the library...love that! Pick out out books for the week. Do calendar time. our 100 sheet. I've even added a weather calendar. We sing a "days of the week" song and a "whats the weather" song. I think I found that online. The best thing about this program is that it's foundation is the Word of God. That is the focal point. I love it. Its the spring board of learning...

He already knows his letter sounds so that is kinda boring right now but he will be blending soon. So I've been putting more time into other things. Like the science. And we are taking it as long as we want to since this is a K cirriculum and Evan is 31/2. I have to say that I think most preschoolers could do this if they can cut, and enjoy some seat work. Some 4 year olds just don't have the attention span to do this though.

We don't spend a lot of time each day on it either. Anywhere for 30 minutes to 2 hours...it all depends on what Evan feels like doing. This is a 26 week course that we are taking as long as we want to. I'm pretty sure we can't stretch it a whole year so I'm not sure what we will do after this. I'm almost certain that the next level of MFW is much more difficult and I just want to keep things fun until Evan is offical Kindergarten age...well, I want it fun then too but you know what I mean.

I can see Asher fitting right into all this. I can't wait to teach him what grass is, birds, dirt, colors, new tastes, toys, water...the ocean! the beach, fish, animal, scribbles on paper, flowers...the whole world...teach him about Jesus and how he is fearfully and wonderfully made. And that he is soooooo loved by Jesus and by mama and papa. To watch movies and read books...awe yes...read books. We love reading books....I can't wait.

4 comments:

Anita said...

I loved reading how you're spending your homeschooling time and the resources. I'm pretty sure we'll continue to homeschool at least preschool because of Kaylin's febrile seizures and from there we'll see as we keep praying. :)

Natalie said...

So happy for you guys. We heart homeschooling for so many reasons.

Glad Evan can stay home and share that precious time with you.

I have been thinking about MFW all year. I'm still praying about it for next year, so I am glad to hear you are loving it so much.

Natalie said...

I just found out that the owners of MFW are going to be at our homeschool group meeting in Feb...and they are bringing ALL of their products. You are the only person I thought might care.;)

Terry said...

Natalie, I wish that they would come to my area. I'd love to hear what they have to say. I know they have cd's you can request on some of thier ideas...I'd be interested in hearing it. Let me know what you think...