To see full blogpost with photos go to http://www.ourfamadventure.blogspot.com/
Boy I'm tired. I had no idea that when me and Evan left at 12:30pm yesterday, that I would be making a trip AI Dupont Children's Hospital. I felt strong that this would be down the road but not so soon!
Brad received our precious son at the airport, screaming and crying (and yes we expected this too) and obviously very attached to the people who have cared him for the past 2 1/2+ years. But as soon as he got settled down and through security, Brad noticed that Cal*rbe was favoring his arm. As the day went on, his obvious pain grew. Even the person who checked his passport at the border in Miami noticed his discomfort. I was troubled by this and had trouble thinking about anything else. Praying.
He seemed pretty good at the hotel and Cal*rbe actually began to warm up to Daddy...and he evidently loves music because Daddy's ipod was a hit :-) They both slept pretty well. But when they woke the next morning the arm still hurt and he began to feel a little warm. We expected him to get sick because of the shock, Evan had a fever when we received him. But this felt different. Especially since his history of illness pointed to something more serious.
Evan and I hurried around on Monday morning trying to get everything ready but I felt like I was just walking in circles. We made a welcome home sign that we haven't taken down yet since he hasn't actually made it home yet. As we met them at the airport, and I took my baby in my arms, he was burning up and knew there was something seriously wrong.
Brad and I decided to drive to immediately to his work and delivery a copy of his foreign adoption decree directly to the HR department (for insurance) and then drove to the hospital...and that's where I've been ever since. Asher C*lerbe was/is scared, and confused. We are trying to communicate with him the best we can. We are trying to absorb Haitian Creole as quickly as possible to help ease his fears(learn your Creole people! Don't wait too long!). He is really warming up to us and reaches for us. But this isn't the way I envisions bonding.
Our sign is still hanging. I may need to take it down because he's still not coming home. Many tests still to be done. So far, we know he has sickle cell. I was asked yesterday by a well meaning tech if we could give him back. I almost cried at the thought. We are completely committed...he is our son. Although the blood work in Haiti showed negative for SC, I was suspicious of this test result. We have no idea who did this lab or where they sent it. I knew if it wasn't SC it had to be something similar. After I visited him last Nov, I tried to figure out how to get a Med Visa but had no idea even where to begin. Had no idea how to get a diagnosis when I was so far away and without resources. So I prayed that he would not die before he was released from Haiti. This child has been through a war within his own body and, boy, he is a fighter! They think there are complications now from untreated sickle cell. We are learning as we go but remarkably doing well with all this information. It must be God because in my own heart I have no strength. But with Him, I CAN DO ALL THINGS! I know this, I believe this, and He keeps reminding me this.
I do plan to take that sign down...but only for a short time. It's supposed to rain and we are still planning his homecoming...our little fighter. He is Blessed, & Fortunate as the name Asher implies. God has big big plans for his life.