10/25/10

Update with the HS

Homeschooling is going rather well this fall. I took this picture about a month ago of our work boxes. It's funny to look at because everything looks so neat and clean...you should see it today! Using these boxes really has made it easy for Evan to understand "what's next" which is really important to him. And it helps me as well to stay organized. Evan actually only works out of the top 5 boxes. We are focusing on Phonics, Math, and Handwriting right now. We add Social Studies (world geography and cultures mostly) and science every now and then.
This is what I'm using for science. And it's exactly what we need :) Asher doesn't really understand what we are doing but he is still able to be included!

They both keep a science journal (pictures). Here they are drawing pictures of their recent "wind" experiment. They used straws to blow through to move cans, balls, blow bubbles in a glass of liquid, etc. We also talked about wind energy and wind farms.

I struggled with deciding on a phonics program for Evan. He truly understands phonics and reading, although his writing and fine motor skills are immature. I finally bought this program last spring and I'm glad I did. We are sailing through it nicely now, but I did modify much of the writing in the beginning. We skipped a lot of it. Most of it was unnecessary busywork. But now he is on the second book and doing much better with all the writing. Although we still skip parts of the handwriting. If he can give me the right answers, we are happy :) He's reading excellent and is actually much farther along than I expected him to be at the point.

I can't say enough about Handwriting Without Tears! I love it! Evan loves it! and that makes us all very happy. We started this program over a year ago with the Pre-K book and we still play with MatMan :) Evan is now on the next level. Even Asher gets in on the fun with his learning the alphabet. Our fav thing...the play dough letters. I can still hear the song, "Where do you start your letters? at the top!" Once Asher knows his alphabet and can recognize some of the letters, I'm starting him on the pre-K book. I actually have the whole pre-k program but I mix and match what we are doing to go along with Evan too. It's just easier that way.

We are also doing Singapore Math, Earlybird books A & B. Book A is more on a preschool level but we are flying through with confidence and that's what I'm trying to build here. Confidence! And now we are almost ready for book B which is a little more challenging.
We also use Sonlight's Exploring God's World although we tend to skip around with that. We like to switch things up. During the month of November I'll have my Grandson for 3 days during the week. I suspect that we will be doing more Science and arts and crafts during that time...and PE! We like to get outdoors when all three boys are together, you can imagine why!
 Asher was in the hospital last week with a fever. It's going to be a long winter. They took good care of him and we were all home in three days. Brad and Evan got to stay at Ronald McDonald house so Brad could drop Evan off at the hospital when he went to work to stay with me and Asher. It was a blessing that we didn't have to worry about getting Evan off to school...a positive with homeschooling that I did not anticipate. We loved our student nurse...Jess is Awesome!

 OK, I threw these last two pictures in for cuteness, Veda and Isabella are wearing their new fall sweaters, hehe. And Asher is just the cutest little doctor that I have ever seen!

3 comments:

Kathy C. said...

I'm glad homeschool is going so well for you. And I'm glad you aren't going crazy. They would have already had to lock me up if I didn't have a break each day from the twins. I love them to death but they can be demanding and high maintainence at times.

Anita said...

I will soon be needing to take lessons from you my friend on the HS organization thing. Right now I need help with organization...period. AAAHH!! I'm flooded with papers, papers, papers.. ya know? ;)

Kim said...

I just wanted to say hello! We are also with Madison and are also adopting a 13 year old girl- she will be 14 in March. We are working hard to be DTC- hopefully we are close! I am looking forward to following your journey! When will your daughter turn 14? She is very beautiful and talented, by the way! I will also be praying for you and your family! Kim