3/16/11

So Far So Good

Arielle has a list of phrases she uses from online and one of them is "so far so good". I thought it was funny when she pointed to this and shook her head yes :) It is going well but I wish we could communicate better. There are so many questions I want to ask...important question about her health, life at the orphanage, her thoughts on leaving it all behind. She is so brave. Praising God for this amazing child. You can see that she's been through so much in her young life.

When I first got to the orphanage, Arielle came in with all her teachers holding presents, for me! Gosh I felt so unprepared for that. She was obviously loved here. And everyone had a camera. I felt like we were movie-stars.  One of her teachers had a few tears. As we left the building she started to cry a little. It broke my heart to pieces.

For those of you wondering. I saw very few children and was told to NOT take pictures of the kids. I had no time to ask about anyone. I did see some young kids but none of the classes. It went so fast too.

I can't get any pictures to load so I will need to do that tomorrow or later (if I'm awake!) I'm still so tired and nauseous. We have already been to pizza hut for lunch and Kof C for dinner. Well, the guide and Arielle got something anyway! I can't imagine eating that right now ;p Instant oatmeal for me tonight!

She is doing amazingly well but always wanting to serve me. I finally told her that she didn't need to take care of me. That I was her mom now and I was going to take care of HER. She's trying so hard to please me. And I can tell she is very responsible, at least that's the way is seems. I can't get over how brave she is. oh the questions I want ask. so many! I gave her a card from Dad (and me) It was for valentine's day. She wasn't even sure how to open it?! You mean to tell me she was never given a card! Maybe they don't do that in China...maybe they do and she just never got one.

We prayed at lunch. She was baffled. She's never been exposed to God. And the guide was funny. After I had prayed he said "is that it?" If you know me, you know I like to get to the point with before meal prayer :) "thank you Jesus for this food, amen." I'm not one for flowery words...not that there is anything wrong with "flowery". And Leo looked at me and said "I was expecting poetry" hehehe. He's funny and he is now my son in China (he's the same age as Bradley-my son back home) So now Leo has a Christian American Mom who likes to pray to Jesus.

I asked Arielle what she wanted to be called, Arielle or LiXue. We like both but we are really loving her Chinese name. It sounds like Leeshue. And it means "beautiful snow". She said Arielle but I not sure if she just wants to make me happy or not.

Prayer request: That we will learn to communicate with one another better. That she will pick up English quick. I can see that she likes to talk so having no one to talk to may depress her.

11 comments:

Blessed mom said...

Terry,
So, so very happy for you and Arielle. I'm thinking Aerielle will begin picking up the English in a matter of days. Will certainly continue to pray for you all. Praying to that you get over the stomach bug.

Blessings,
Anita in KY

Chelsea Gour said...

Tell Leo the Gour's say hi and tell him that Asher (Jun An) has calmed down only a little bit! Tell him Jun An found someone who spoke Chinese on the plane ride home and talked to her non-stop for FOUR hours! He will laugh at that. Leo is a good guy. He came to our room one night because Asher was upset about something and just listened and talked to him for a long time. You are in good hands! Praying for everything to continue to go well!

Joy said...

Congratulations! Don't worry -- in time she will start sharing with you. In our case, it took about two years before we really started "knowing" who our teen daughter is. I know the feeling of wanting to know right away! :-)

Also, we love Continental too! We're using them in a couple of weeks to head to China ourselves. :-)

PS - she may have agreed to the name to make you happy, but just go with the flow. She will probably let you know in time what she really prefers. Our daughter did the same and accepted her English name at first and now she wants to be called her by her Chinese name.

One Happy Momma said...

Terry she is beautiful!!

Glad to hear things are going well!

Did she bring her translator? Will that work to help communicate?

I have to say my heart just melted when you said, "So now Leo has a Christian American Mom who likes to pray to Jesus."

Continuing to pray!

Love you!

Cat

Mom2Four said...

If you don't have a handheld translator - buy one. Until then, you can use google Translate www.translate.google.com you will need to enable the Chinese Simplified Keyboard on your computer for her to "talk" to you. If you have Vista, it is under control panel.

Anita said...

Terry - Praise God your daughter is now with you!! The Lord has completed what He started in your heart for Arielle. Praying that He will open the communication between you in many ways and that you can find a translator to use, too. HUGS!

China Dreams said...

Sounds great so far.

Blessings,
Ruby

Rebekah said...

I am so happy for all of you! Hope everything continues to go well. I will be praying for the communication barriers to fall as each day passes. As you reflect on how the Lord has brought you to her, let it encourage you that He is right there making the paths ahead straight.

hollym. said...

Hi Terry! I'm a Bethany Momma. So happy for you and praying that you feel well and that communication grows quickly. Oh, and bonding with your new daughter. God Bless you. I'll be praying for your DH and littles at home, too.:)
take care,hollym.:)

Sandy Porter said...

Still praying here, too, Terry! Thanks for taking the time to post when you feel so blah. Are you able to Skype with Brad and the kids? It must be so hard to be patient with all the questions you have for LiXue. She probably has a lot of her own!

Can't wait for pictures!
(((HUGS)))
Sandy

smargle said...

Use google translate. if your going to buy a translator buy one for her to translate chinese to Eng. Buy it in GZ when you go. There is an electronics mall in GZ. Tell your daughter Gong Gang says hello.

The Walsh Family