11/1/11

Last week the boys had a virus; fever, dizziness, etc. Nothing that would normally cause drama. But we are always concerned about fevers with Asher. Because of his SC he's at greater risk for infection. So if his temperature gets to be 101f or above, it's an automatic hospital stay for monitoring. Most of the time it's routine and he's home within 3 days. This time, however,
he developed a bacterial infection. So the routine turned out to be an extended visit to Dupont children's Hospital.
We are always questioning the need to take him in when he gets an average virus temp. I'm not sure we will question this anymore. His fever shot up to 106.9 while in the hospital and I'm glad we were in the hospital when it happened.
He's doing better and is on some strong antibiotics. And we are hoping to go home today. We are waiting on blood cultures to show what strain of bac. it is so he can go home with the proper meds :) Through it all, I'm truly amazed at God's goodness. His Grace. His unconditional Love. I pray for that in my life, to be a reflection of Him. Especially when I haven't slept and I want to grouch and grumble with the nurses. I never been one who can handle little sleep. Asher either. And when they are constantly poking him with needles (well, not "constantly" but it feels that way when the "grouch" settles in) I just want to yell at somebody. And Asher DOES yell, as you can imagine. But God's grace is sufficient.
I don't know why kids get sick. I don't know why they die. I don't know why there are wicked diseases, or wicked people who choose to hurt innocent kids. I don't know why one child has to suffer horribly and another lives in the lap of luxury.  I don't know why there are those who have many to help and comfort and love while others have nobody...I don't know why God allows it. No one child is more deserving to have their basic needs in life met while another suffers. This I do know. And I also know that He has called us to be His hands and feet:

His hands and feet.

Maybe that's the key.

Maybe too many of us are too busy looking after our "own" to truly hear the charge of our Lord to look after those who can't look after themselves. When I sit and pray over my own babies to be healed, I can't help but think about the millions of other kids who have no one to pray for them.

Ok, I'm rambling and I don't know if I'm making any sense. But Jesus loves me this I know.... and I also know that we live here for only a short time. Compared to eternity, this is nothing. Once we shed these tents there will be no sickness, no suffering, no pain...

ETERNITY is a LONG TIME without sickness :)
Until then, I'll continue to trust and be His hands and feet. 

"Yet to  all who received Him, to those who believe in his name, he gave the right to become CHILDREN OF GOD." John 1:12

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That may be the best "rambling" I've ever read! Thank you for your encouraging words to live our lives really like they aren't ours at all!